Liberia Merchant Capital Limited (LMC), a company incorporated in the Republic of Liberia in 2019 and licensed by the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL) as a discount house under the New Financial Institutions Act of Liberia of 1999.
LMC, as a discount house, is a specialised financial institution whose main roles include trading, discounting and negotiating bills of exchange or promissory notes or tradeable financial instruments in the money market particularly in the secondary market. Our transactions are generally performed on a wholesale basis or relatively large amounts in instruments that include government bonds, Treasury bills and Central Bank bills. In line with Central Bank of Liberia’s operational guidelines for discount houses, the objectives and principal roles of a discount house are:
- to promote the rapid growth and efficiency of the money market in Liberia;
- to act as an intermediary between the Central Bank of Liberia and the licensed banks in open market operations (OMO) transactions and other eligible money market securities;
- to facilitate the issue and sale of short-term government securities and other eligible short-term commercial bills;
- to provide discount/re-discount facilities for treasury securities and other eligible financial instruments;
- to provide fund/portfolio management and financial advisory services;